Our History
Otago's glass specialists since 1898
Aburns Glass Industries was established in 1898 as glaziers and glass merchants by Samuel F. Aburn.
Our first premises was at 389 Princes Street, where the founding company specialised in painting, decorating and glazing.
Today we are still 100% locally owned and operated, and remain Dunedin's longest serving auto glass specialists offering an extensive range of glass products and services to the people of Otago for over a century.
We are proud to support the local community we serve from our new premises at 45 Otaki Street, Dunedin.

The Aburns Family

Samuel Felix Aburn
Worked From 1898 - 1956

Albert Edward Aburn
Worked From 1920 - 1963

Peter John Phillip Aburn
Worked From 1949 - 2005
Samuel F. Aburn was a painter and a glazier by trade. The first iteration of the company was a paint and glass business, until 1981 when the paint and wallpaper division was sold and the business was renamed Aburns Glass Industries Limited.
Samuel handed the business over to his two sons Albert and Harry in 1956, who passed the business on to their two sons in 1963.
Peter Aburn was the last Aburn to work in the business. He steered the company through several strategic changes and relocations around Dunedin as it grew. He remained with the business until 2005 when, due to ill health, he sold it to John Lister. John was the logical successor, having worked at Aburns from apprentice to manufacturing manager with Peter since 1973.
Sadly, Peter passed on just a few months after handing the business over.
At its foundation the company was situated at 389 Princes Street and specialised in painting, decorating and glazing
The 1920s were when motor cars began appearing on Dunedin streets, and Aburns performed the first automotive glass repairs
In 1927 a plate glass factory was opened on the corner of Carroll and Hope Streets where glass beveling, mirror and leadlight manufactoring and glass bending was carried out.
In 1978 the company shifted to 152 Crawford Street and shortly afterwards sold off the decorating side of the business to continue specialising in glass alone.
In 1981 SF Aburn Ltd was incorporated into the new company Aburns Glass Industries Ltd.
In 2002 Aburns moved to its current premises at 45 Otaki Street.
When AMN Master Glaziers was established in 2002, Aburns Glass joined as a registered member, adding Dunedin to the nationwide network of approved suppliers of 24/7 commercial and residential glass repairs.
In 2005 Peter Aburn passed away. Aburns Glass Industries Ltd became Aburns Glass 2005 Ltd, with longtime staff member John Lister taking the reigns.
In 2012 Aburns expanded its range by becoming an agent for HomePlus
In 2013 the partnership with Novus was established, and Aburns joined a nationwide group of auto glass repair specialists.
Double glazing becomes compulsory for housing construction


